We have had a number of marine thefts (boats, fuel tanks, equipment and outboard engines) over the years almost always between April and September, usually when low water occurs during the hours of darkness, quite often at the weekend or on a bank holiday and particularly from boats where vulnerable outboard engines and equipment can be seen from shore and can be accessed at low water.
In addition to the trainable/zoom CCTV camera at the harbour entrance THC has installed a new trainable/zoom CCTV camera on the Teignmouth side which looks across to Shaldon, Ringmore, Ringmore Strand and Polly Steps and some additional fixed CCTV cameras are being installed to look in more detail at Polly Steps.
THC and the Teign Estuary Partnership have purchased some Datatag (Theft Deterrent for Outboard Motors) Kits which have been distributed free of charge to mooring holders selected by TCYC, Shaldon Sailing Club, BOAT owners of Shaldon, BOAT owners of Teignmouth and the South Devon Water Ski Club and to members of the public selected by open ballot to encourage the registration and protection of outboard engines.
Datatag Security kits can be purchased from the Harbour Office at cost price (£25) whilst stocks last.
THC has posted a number of signs around the estuary indicating that outboard engines in the estuary are protected by Datatag.
If you moor your boat on the Teign please:
- Make it difficult for a thief to access the boat;
- Secure equipment left on the boat behind lock and key and out of sight;
- Secure all portable outboard motors left on the boat, make it difficult for a thief to remove;
- Secure all portable fuel tanks if left on the boat, make it difficult for a thief to remove;
- Use security marking and labels to indicate your outboard engine is registered and protected e.g Datatag (£40)*;
- Fit a tracker to your outboard engine or boat e.g. DuoTraq (£50-75)*; but check with manufacturer that it cannot be jammed;
- Consider fitting a solar powered LED light with a motion sensor to your boat.
*The above 2 points might reduce the boat insurance premium;
- Insure the boat, outboard engine and contents.